Working in Retail..Need I say more
I work at Under Armour at the Grove City outlets, and this past weekend we had a VIP coupon that could be used on top of our store sale. The entire store was going to be 40% off, so I imagined the store being busy all weekend, but I didn't expect the turnout that we had. If anyone else has ever worked in retail, you know how difficult it can be at times. Retail has taught me to be patient and calm as much as possible. Not only were there a lot of people with huge orders, but there were also people who needed items ordered online. My patience was tested when I looked up items online for a customer, and then they decided they didn't want those items after they found out they couldn't use their coupon. Of course I wanted to walk away and not help them anymore, but I kept my cool and wished them a nice evening. My favorite part of the day is when the customers are gone and the store is closed, but then you see the aftermath of a busy weekend when the dust clears. Working in retail isn't easy, and it is definitely not for everyone. Be kind to retail workers this holiday season, it is not an easy job this time of year.
One year in high school, I had to work Black Friday at Target. It was honestly so terrible mostly because I started work at 6pm and finished at 8am. It is honestly so much harder to work in retail than people make it out to be, especially during the holiday season. If you're working on Black Friday this year, good luck! Stay calm and just remember that at least you're making money!
ReplyDeleteWe are all blessed to have hard working people like you in retail. I hope the holiday season is good to you and you make bank $! It was interesting to get an inside look at retail.
ReplyDeleteI am amazed at the patience of retail worker, especially during the holiday season. People do not realize that workers like you are keeping busy, putting in long hours, and being kept away from their own families during the holidays so that the shoppers and their families can have a good holiday season. More shoppers need to keep this in mind when they are shopping and do their best to make these people's jobs a little easier. I do not know if I would ever be able to make it working in retail. It takes the right kind of people to deal with the community on a daily basis while staying calm and patient, especial around the holidays. Good luck with the rest of the busy season!
ReplyDeleteI worked Black Friday when I was in retail as well, and it really does get crazy at the outlets! People can be incredibly rude for no reason. I basically just looked to my coworkers to make me laugh and get through the shift. We were like family so that helped a ton. Good luck this holiday season!
ReplyDeleteAmanda, I hoped you survived Black Friday! Those nights at the outlets are always unforgettable due to the variety of characters that you see. I wouldn't recommend working retail on Black Friday to anyone that doesn't get a kick out of fist fights over the last chia pet!
ReplyDeleteHey Amanda, I felt like I definitely needed to comment on this once since we work together and have similar experiences. Overall I think we need pretty well on Black Friday, I guess we will see what the rest of this holiday season has in store. But I really love that you had the idea to have potluck Saturdays for the rest of holiday season. It really picks up the mood in order to keep us sane and help people effectively. Food puts everyone in a good mood!
ReplyDelete