First Elementary Solo Teaching Opportunity
Today I had my first solo teaching opportunity for 452. I had the privilege of teaching having a positive sense of self, and parachute activities to 1st graders. I had them repeat this phrase, "I am smart. I am strong. I am brave." We repeated this phrase 3 times in a row, getting louder and louder each time. By the third time, all of the students were screaming the words with power, and hitting the floor. It was clear that these words were building inside of them. The parachute activities where a lot of fun. We made a mountain and did mountain climbers to get to the top, we pretended the parachute was an elevator, and we did a color run underneath the parachute. Overall, the day was a success, and the students started building a positive sense of self. I am looking forward to my next lessons.
It sounds like you had a great first experience solo teaching. That's great! I know if I was in first grade again, I would have loved that activity. Parachute activities were always my favorite when in elementary school. I think its great that your empowering them to enhance their sense of self by repeating that phrase. That's something they will carry with them for a long time.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like the lesson went really well!! Great job!! I love that you had the students use "I am" phrases; these phrases allow them to look at themselves in a way that might be difficult for them to do at first. As far as the parachute activities go, I wish I could've been there for the lesson! I know when I was in elementary school, I loved using the parachute! Awesome job! I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of your teachings go!
ReplyDelete